OCBA meeting minutes-, March 13, 2014 7:00 pm
1. Co-presidents Chris Apple and Cynthia Steed welcomed members and guests. Chris was enthusiastic as the February meeting was cancelled due to wintry weather. She also mentioned the spring meeting in Wilmington. Tuesday, March 18, members can take the written test for certification here at 7:00 pm. In order to be certified, one must also be put through the paces in a field test. Bee School field day will be March 15 and volunteers are needed to help.
2. Chris Apple called on Lewis who showed us pictures of two designs for an Orange County Bee Association t-shirt. After members agreed on the design, Lewis offered to post ordering information and send it to the list serve.
3. Chris Richmond reported that ten folks had responded to his call for swarm patrol members. If you are interested, please respond to him.
4. Lucy pointed out that there is a sign-up sheet for volunteers to maintain the Pollinator Garden. She will also send an email request.
5. Rex reported that he had presented at Counter Culture Coffee recently, and introduced Brian from that business. In the next month or so, Chris Richmond will give a presentation at Durham Tech and Molly (4-H beekeeper) will present in April.
6. Dick has State membership cards to hand out, and the attendance roster needs to be checked off as you leave tonight. If you haven’t joined, it isn’t too late.
7. David Bailey announced that bee packages are scheduled to arrive April 19 at his Hillsborough store. There are a few packages left, if you need to order.
8. Chris Apple mentioned upcoming speakers for May (bee inspector) and June (Todd Walker, photographing bees. She encouraged members to think about the State Fair Booth design for this year, and to contact Mary Leonarde.
9. Lewis fielded a question about when to make a split from a member new to the South (during the honey flow, about two weeks before April 25 when tulip poplars are expected to begin blooming).
10. Cynthia introduced Dr. John Ambrose, professor at NCSU, who created the Master Beekeeping program in NC. He presented “Insects and People”, a very entertaining talk with slideshow about how bees created civilization.
11. Club members enjoyed refreshments and fellowship. Then the meeting was adjourned.
‘Lizabeth B. Collins