OCBA meeting minutes -November 13, 2014 7:00 pm
The meeting was called to order by co-presidents Chris Apple and Cynthia Speed. A number of announcements were made.
1. Introduction to Beekeeping, a three hour course, was held last Saturday, November 8 and led by Geneva Green. There were about 15 participants.
2. There are two new young people to mentor in the coming season: 13 y.o. Haley Borden and Andi Bradsher, 9 y.o.
3. Bee School will begin on Tuesday, January 13, and will run for ten weeks. Todd Walker and Randall Austin will run it this year. Cost is $70/single. It includes two field days, February 7 and March 13.
4. Chris A told the group that Wattie Bowes has suffered a stroke which has affected language, but he is recovering.
5. Lynette Fee, who was not present, is a “Global Connections” representative. You can see her if you have honey for sell.
6. Chris and Cynthia presented a slate of officers for the coming year:
Co-presendents: Chris Apple and Cynthia Speed
Vice Presendent: Cynthia Windsong
Secretary: Jan Rogers
Treasurer: Dick Merritt with understudy, Mary Leonardi
1 year Director: Rex Williams
2 year Director: Cedric Pearce
3 year Director: Dave Eckert
Mark Powers made a motion to accept the slate as presented; ‘Lizabeth Collins seconded the motion. The motion passed with a majority of votes.
7. Lewis has pledge forms for NCSU apiary research. He announced the the Spring Bee meeting will be held in Monroe, NC, on February 5. Check the web site for more information. Summer meeting may be Lake Junaluska.
Tonight’s presenters are Mark Powers of Honey Ale, Diane of Honey Girl Meadery, and Rim Vigalys of Spiced Honey Liquor. Members participated in tasting and hearing about these fine products.
Following the presentation, members enjoyed fellowship and refreshments. Then the meeting was adjourned.
‘Lizabeth B. Collins