Archive for the Category: Meeting Minutes

October 28 Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

OCBA executive meeting minutes, October 28, 2014 7:00 pm

1. Present were ‘Lizabeth Collins, Chris Apple, Cynthia Speed, Cedric Pearce, Chris Richmond, and Rex Williams. Not present was Dick Merritt.
2. Chris A. announced that she and Cynthia will continue on as co-presidents as it has proved impossible to find someone to step up. However, they will share the duties of President and VP with Cynthia Windsong. Jan will take over as Secretary, and Mary Leonardi will understudy Dick as Treasurer. Dave Eckard will be on the slate as the new 3 year director; Cedric will complete 2 years and Rex has one more year to serve as director.
3. Next Chris A. r2eported that she has been working with Matthew, President of the Durham chapter, regarding hosting the State Bee meeting in 2016. The difficulty seems to be in finding an affordable location that is large enough. NCCU may be an option, but we may have to push back to hosting the 2017 meeting.
4. Also Chris A. asked for ideas for reaching out to youth for mentorships. The high schools didn’t pan out, and there are no new 4-Hers interested this year. Suggested were Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, and tapping Molly and Logan for ideas and contacts.
5. There followed a discussion about speakers for future OCBA meetings. Suggestions were made.
6. As there was no financial information to review, the meeting was adjourned.
Respectfully submitted,
‘Lizabeth B. Collins

Category: Meeting Minutes  

September Meeting Minutes

OCBA meeting minutes, September 11, 2014 7:00 pm

The meeting was called to order by co-presidents Chris Apple and Cynthia Speed. A number of announcements were made.
1. Volunteers are needed to sign up for refreshments for October and November.
2. Mary reported that the State Fair Committee has met and decided on the theme, “Bee Friends and Bee Foes,” for the educational exhibit. If you are interested in helping to plan the booth, or in helping set up the booth on October 15th, or in adding your bee products to the booth, contact Chris A. All members are encouraged to go online to view the list of items you can enter and the process for submission.
3. Lucy, manager of the Pollinator Garden at the Visitor’s Center in Hillsborough, announced that there will be a workday in October to divide and move some plants in that garden. Let her know if you’d like to help.
4. Also Chris A. mentioned that she and Cynthia are writing a proposal to place a live hive at the Visitor’s Center.
5. The new extractor policy has been posted on the website. Everyone should become familiar with it before next season. Meanwhile Chris A. is attempting to track down the club’s extractor. Please let her know where it is.
6. Cynthia announced that a Carrboro location has been found for placement of a demonstration hive. The site is on the corner of Old Pittsboro Road and Daffadil Lane. It is a meadow with a nearby stream, and belongs to a non-beekeeper, so volunteers will be needed to care for the hive(s).
7. Lewis plans to offer t-shirts when Bee School begins in January. Bee School will begin January 13, 2015, and Todd Walker and Randall Austin will co-direct
8. A news article—an interview with Chris Apple—appeared in the September 3, 2014 issue of the News of Orange County. ‘Lizabeth has a copy for the files.
9. Facebook is not a one-person job, reported Marissa. She will post directions for accessing the OCBA Facebook page on our webpage.
10. Oct. 2-3 is the “Farm to Table” field trip for 2nd graders. If you wish to volunteer, contact Chris A.
11. David Bailey will have a bee display table at the new Tractor Supply store from 9-2 on October 20, and he invited OCBA to set up a table, too.
12. Geneva Green will once again present an Introduction to Beekeeping at the church on November 8th.
13. Adolphus Leonard, State Inspector in the eastern district, will present Wintering your Bees at the October meeting.
14. Don Hopkins brought the sign-up sheets for volunteering at the bee exhibit during the NC State Fair.

Tonight’s speaker is Todd Warner, of Carolina Bees Company. He discussed “certified naturally grown”, and compared it to certified organically grown.
Following the presentation, members enjoyed fellowship and refreshments. Then the meeting was adjourned.
Respectfully submitted,
‘Lizabeth B. Collins

Category: Meeting Minutes  

August 2014 meeting minutes

OCBA meeting minutes,August 14, 2014   7:00  pm

 

  1. Co-presidents Chris Apple and Cynthia Sneed greeted members and guests, and discussed the State Summer meeting.  She mentioned meeting Dr. Von Bryant, a presenter from the Univ. of Texas, who discussed how beekeepers can identify what types of honey their bees are producing by identifying the pollen in the honey.  Chris A announced that Dr. Bryant will be coming to NC again to teach this procedure.
  2. Cynthia passed out index cards and pens, and made a plea for members to write down the names of members who would be good officers for the club.  Next year we will need a new president, vice president, and a new 3-year director.
  3. Lewis will order t-shirts if there are a dozen folks interested now, but he’d rather wait until cooler weather and people are perhaps interested in ordering long-sleeved shirts.
  4. The listserv is jumping with questions and answers and suggestions.  Marissa Raveria is working on our Facebook site and she will speak about it in September.
  5. NC State Fair will begin in October.  Chris A asked everyone to think about entering something in it, and encouraged all to go online to view the list of items and process for submission.  She asked to be notified if products could be used in our booth.  Also those interested in helping Mary with the booth, contact Chris A or Cynthia.
  6. At the September meeting, Todd Warner of Carolina Bees will present on Certified Naturally Grown Beekeeping.  Check on line if you are interested in the process.
  7. Dick read aloud the letter of acknowledgement the club received for its donation of $2500 to NCSU’s Apiary Research.  Cynthia also mentioned requesting coverage in the local newspaper.
  8. Chris A announced the purchase of $200+ worth of books about beekeeping which will be donated to Hillsborough’s Orange County Library.
  9. Wattie announced that there will soon be a newly revised  policy for the use of the club’s extractor posted on the website soon.  This will include pictures of all the various parts and pieces that make up the equipment, and a checklist to be signed off by the last person to use it and the next person to use it.  Dick reminded all that there is a $10 fee, which entitles the user for four days of the equipment, payable to the club.
  10. Chris A announced that the search for private property on which to locate a storage shed owned by the club has been successful.  John Fredrick offered but his property is a little far; Cheryl Myers has also offered space.
  11. Chris A reminded members of the two hives placed at the church as practice hives; only one is active this year and the family formerly caring for it can not continue to do so.  She asked the membership what they thought of the idea of relocating the hive to Gold Park and adding a smaller nuc at the Pollinator Garden at the Visitor’s Center in Hillsborough.  There was a discussion about other sites in Orange County where it might be feasible to place a hive for educating the public.  If you have suggestions, email to Chris A or Cynthia.
  12. Next Chris A suggested that the club, in conjunction with Durham and perhaps Person or Chatham, host the summer meeting in 2016. This would require a large venue and a lot of careful planning.  Email her your thoughts and ideas.
  13. Chris A and Cynthia are working to update the website.
  14. Thanks were given to David Bailey for donating a cold knife for use with the extractor.
  15. Chris A announced volunteers will be needed for Farm to Table.  She worked this last year and enjoyed meeting lots of fourth graders.  It will be held on a farm on Hwy 86 S on Oct. 2 & 3, a Thursday/Friday.  Let her know if you can participate.
  16. Kendal Clark is a Cedar Grove student beekeeper under our 4-H mentor program.  He spoke a few minutes about his experiences this spring and summer with his hives.
  17. Tonight’s speaker is Master Beekeeper Lewis Cauble.  Before he could begin, Chris A and Cynthia presented him with a “MBA” t-shirt and a special varroa cake.  Lewis presentation was full of useful information about IPM (Integrated Pest Management) and the six registered mitacides in NC>

Following the presentation, fellowship and refreshments, the meeting was adjourned.

 

Respectfully submitted,

‘Lizabeth B. Collins

Category: Meeting Minutes  

June meeting minutes

 

OCBA meeting minutes, June 12, 2014   7:00  pm

1.      Co-president Chris Apple welcomed members and guests.  Cynthia is out of town, and Todd wasn’t able to present tonight.  She reminded all that the Summer Meeting will be in July and that there will be no OCBA club meeting in July.  She encouraged all to attend the Summer Meeting, mentioning honey contests: mead, extracted honey, photos and cooking with honey.  See info on listserv.

2.      Chris A.  gave us Cynthia’s recommendation for a fiction book called The Bees by Lillen Paull, which is in the local library.  The POV is from a worker bee’s perspective.

3.      There will be a Honey Extraction workshop led by Dave Ekhard on July 19 near Hillsborough (3900 Bivins Road off St. Mary’s towards Durham). More info will be posted on the website.

4.      There will be a Joint Field Day with Durham’s club on July 26 at Duke Gardens. More info on that to come.

5.      November elections will be here before you know if. Chris A. passed around a clipboard with a sign up sheet for anyone interested in serving on the Nominating Com. or as an elected officer.  Information will also be posted on the web.

6.      Lucy and Chris A. have met and discussed up dating the sign at the Pollinator Garden in Hillsborough at the Visitor’s Center.  Chris asked if there was any interest in establishing a real hive of bees there, and will bring this up for discussion at another meeting since it isn’t likely to happen before next spring.

7.      She announced that there is a new home for the club’s extractor.  It will be stored at Cedric’s office in the Meadowlands in Hillsborough.  You can request the use of the extractor by emailing Cedric Pearce.

8.      Lewis (Master Beekeeper) has been whittling down the list of people who need the practical field test in order to complete their initial beekeeping certification.  Contact him if you want to be added to his list.  Also Gail Young will be administering the written exam on July 26 during the joint Durham/Orange field day at Duke Gardens.  Contact her if you would like to take this test.

9.      Woman Craft in Carrboro has an exhibit about honey bees from June 12-26.

10.   Orange County Master Gardeners have just established a new pollinator garden at Gold Park in Hillsborough and  would welcome additional plants that bees are interested in.  It is a sunny garden.

11.   Rex announced that he needs volunteers for Festival on the Eno, July 4 weekend.  He sent a link for on-line sign-up in his last email, but contact him if you are interested and need the link.  Volunteers are admitted to the Festival free.

12.   Old Business:  Chris A. reminded the group of the proposal from Lewis to donate club money to Dr. Tarpy’s program at NCSU and gave the Exec. Com.’s recommendation that the club donate $1000 this year with the intent to sustain the gift annually as long as funding permits, and that we use all means to publicize and promote the donation with the intent of encouraging matching gifts from other clubs. ‘Lizabeth restated the recommendation in the form of a motion, and it was seconded.  Discussion ensued.  Someone asked what the money would be used for; Chris read from the NCSU website about the programs and research projects Dr. Tarpy heads.  Someone asked about using club funds for obtaining a storage site for club materials; that will be investigated as well as conducting an audit of the club’s finances to see patterns in income and outgo.  Someone asked how much does the club currently have in the bank; Dick estimated $10,00.  Lewis argued that he would like to see a leadership gift of at least $2500, and Don agreed that the higher amount as seed money would challenge other clubs.  Someone asked about members donating on line and linking that donation to the clulb; Lewis demonstrated how simple an online donation could be, including identifying the individual as a member of Orange County Beekeepers.  Someone suggested that instead of attempting to sustain the gift annually that the club consider a larger one-time gift.  Dick cautioned against assuming that the club would continue to have such a plump account in the future.  Wattie asked to amend the motion to state that the club donate a substantial gift of $2500 or more to NCSU’s Apiary Research and Educational Programs under Dr. David Tarpy.  ‘Lizabeth rejected the amendment; question was called and the motion was defeated.  Wattie then made his amendment into a motion which was seconded.  Further discussion deleted the words “or more” and added the phrase from the original motion about promoting and publicizing the donation in order to challenge other clubs to match or exceed our donation.  Motion passed with a majority vote; one dissenting.

13.   Lewis passed proverbial “hat” for a gift for Todd Walker and Inge Katzman who are expecting their first child in August.  He will be responsible for purchasing a gift card etc.

14.   A donated sugar shake jar was given as a door prize to one person who admitted he didn’t yet have one.

               Don Hopkins, State Bee Inspector, discussed preparing bees for the winter which begins now.  He answered numerous questions, using his extensive collection of              photographs to illustrate key points.

               Following the presentation, the meeting was adjourned. 

Respectfully submitted,

‘Lizabeth B. Collins

Category: Meeting Minutes  

May meeting minutes

 

OCBA meeting minutes, May 8, 2014   7:00  pm

1.      Co-presidents Chris Apple and Cynthia Steed welcomed members and guests.  She announced that the speaker for the next meeting, Todd Walker, former OCBA President, would present on the topic of photographing bees without expensive camera equipment.

2.      Chris A. invited Molly, a 4-H mentee, to speak.  Molly announced that she would be working on Pollinator Day at the Farmer’s Market in Chatham to earn a Girl Scout award. 

3.      Next Chris A. reported announced a club Honey Extraction Workshop on July 19, led by Dave Ekhert.  The place will be on the website soon.  Also in the works is a joint field day with the Durham club.  It will incorporate the practicals for those who completed bee school and took the written test—the practical is an inspection of a bee colony under the supervision of a Master Beekeeper.  Please let Chris or Cynthia know if you would like to be in the list for the practicals.

4.      Lewis Cauble, former OCBA president, presented information about David Tarpy and NCSU’s Apiary program as part of a proposal to donate a significant amount of money to the NCSU apiculture program.  He had originally suggested a donation of $5,000; the Executive Committee leans toward $2500.  He mentioned that the donation to NC Agricultural Foundation, designated for apicultural science would pay $.95 of each dollar donated to research.  Lewis also mentioned his hope that other club would also become involved in donating money to this cause.  He hopes that publicity about the donation and information we could provide to these clubs would help convince them to become donors. Lewis pointed out that he is asking for a club donation, not that individuals couldn’t also donate.  Dick mentioned that there are on-going budget needs, such as start up costs for Bee School and the books that the club has already approved be donated to the Orange County library, but that the club has about $1100 at present.  This donation would not be a hardship on the club.  A suggestion was made that our club offer the donation of $2500 as matching funds from other donations.  Don Hopkins, state bee inspector, offered his opinion that the donation to the apiculture research was a good idea and that other clubs would follow our club’s example. As time for discussion of this item ended, Chris announced that the members should be prepared to vote on the idea at the next meeting.

5.      Lewis was asked about placing another t shirt order.  He asked for interest, and agreed to send another offer to members.

Cynthia introduced Nancy Ruppert, a state bee inspector in the south central & south eastern NC, who presented on “The Sweet Return”.  She touched on the state’s honey standard, which defines honey and how to label honey in NC.  She mentioned resources to beekeepers including some on line and local and regional organizations.  What you need to make honey is a lot of healthy bees, so the time to begin is the previous summer by making sure you have a healthy productive queen and getting pests under control.  Feed as needed over the winter, prevent swarms in the spring, and add supers before it’s too late to store additional honey—these are also steps to getting honey.  Three methods of robbing the bees were mentioned: brushing bees off a few frames with a soft brush, blowing bees from frames, and using a fume board.  She pointed out the importance of making sure 75-80% of each frame has capped honey.  Bees cap their honey when the moisture content is right; it there is too much moisture, the honey will ferment. Nancy discussed and demonstrated much of the equipment needed for extraction: bee brush, cappings scratcher, electric capping knife, basin for catching cappings & honey, extractor or simple nylon mesh bag, bucket or collection tank with a spout that locks, bottles & labels, filters.  She also mentioned that she freezes her honey for 48 hours in case there are wax moth eggs in the honey.

Following the presentation, club members enjoyed refreshments, honey tasting and fellowship.  Then the meeting was adjourned. 

Respectfully submitted,

‘Lizabeth B. Collins

Category: Meeting Minutes